Category: Heritage-Maryland

Fort Carroll Lighthouse*

Fort Carroll Light was originally built on a parapet of Fort Carroll in 1854 with a sixth-order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse and fog bell were removed in 1898 to make room for the fort’s expansion. A new light was constructed in December of the same year; a square wooden tower with black cast iron lantern …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/fort-carroll-lighthouse/

Fishing Battery Lighthouse*

Fishing Battery Light was constructed as an integral one-story brick house with a wooden rooftop lantern built by John Donahoo in 1853 and contained a sixth-order Fresnel lens. This was the last lighthouse constructed by Donahoo on the Chesapeake Bay and one of the last lighthouses ordered by the Pleasonton administration. The light is located …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/fishing-battery-lighthouse/

Bodkin Island Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard First established in 1822 (discontinued in 1855) the Bodkin Island Lighthouse would have been visible from the North Overlook in the distance. It has long since crumbled and what remains of the lighthouse and the island on which it stood now show only as a ‘navigational hazard’ on present-day …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/bodkin-island-lighthouse/

Bloody Point Bar Lighthouse

The U.S. Lighthouse Board received several requests for the establishment of a lighthouse on Kent Island. Bloody Point Bar was the final choice and a request was submitted in 1868 to mark both the bar and the northern entrance to the Eastern Bay. The request was repeated in 1869. In March of 1881, Congress finally …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/bloody-point-lighthouse/

Hooper Island Lighthouse

Hooper Island Lighthouse is one of only five lights constructed in the Bay during the 1900’s.  The Hooper Island Lighthouse is located in approximately 18′ of water, approximately three miles west of Hooperville, Upper Hooper Island. It is a caisson style light, sunk 13.5 feet into the muddy bottom of the Bay.  It was first …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/hooper-island-lighthouse/

Drum Point Lighthouse

Drum Point Lighthouse was originally located along the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay at the northern side of the mouth of the Patuxent River. Efforts to place a light at this location began in the 1850s due to the need for a light to mark the location of shoals around the point. Disputes between …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/drum-point-lighthouse-2/

Concord Point Lighthouse

Concord Point - looking good!

Concord Point Light is a 36-foot tower that was built in 1827. It is the second oldest tower lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay and the oldest continuous lighthouse in Maryland. The tower is built at the point where the Susquehanna River meets the tidal flow of the Chesapeake Bay and navigation is very hazardous around …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/concord-point-lighthouse/

Cove Point Lighthouse

Picture perfect day at Cove Point.

Cove Point Light Station April 2013 Cove Point Lighthouse is located in Calvert County along the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay four miles north of the mouth of the Patuxent River. The lighthouse was built in 1828 to mark the shoal that extends outwards from the scenic point of land toward the shipping channel …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/cove-point-lighthouse-2/