The Chesapeake Chapter – USLHS, is an official Chapter of the United States Lighthouse Society and is a 501(C) (3) non-profit organization.
Our activities focus around lighthouse preservation and education while enjoying the social camaraderie of people with similar lighthouse goals. We visit them, learn of their history and support their preservation projects. We raise money and donate to active lighthouse preservation/restoration projects that meet our criteria of support. Our cash Grant is a maximum of $1000 to any one lighthouse/lightship organization in our core area per year.
The basic criteria we use when considering requests includes:
- The applicant group must have non-profit tax exempt status.
- The lighthouse/lightship must be in the greater Chesapeake Bay Region; Maryland, Virginia and Lower Delaware.
- There should be an identified restoration/preservation project requiring funding.
- Is there an active preservation/support group in charge of the project?
- Is there an opportunity to fund a specific element of the project for which CC-USLHS can receive contributing recognition?
- The funds provided should be spent within 12 months of receiving the Grant.
- The organization receiving the Grant must submit a report on how the funds were spent and the status of the project funded to the Preservation Committee Chair via email within 14 months of receiving the Grant.
If you are a lighthouse/lightship preservation group and have a project(s) you feel meets our criteria we invite you to apply for our Preservation/ Restoration Grant. To do so, we have included a form for you to complete. In addition to the specific questions, please provide any additional information that you feel will support your request for our grant. All paperwork must be submitted via email to the Preservation Committee Chair by February 15th of each year. The award will be announced no later than March 30th of the same year and the funds provided via check soon afterwards at a small ceremony.
Please scan and email the completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.
Preservation Committee, Chesapeake Chapter, U.S.L.H.S.
Contact the Preservation Committee Chair, email: email@example.com
- 2022 Preservation Grant: Historic Ships In Baltimore for the Lightship Chesapeake.
- 2020 + 2021 – No Preservation Grants awarded
- 2018 Preservation Grant: Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse
- 2017 Preservation Grant: Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse
- 2014 Preservation Grant: Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse
- 2012 Preservation Grant: Historical Place Preservation, Inc.
- 2011 Preservation Grant: Delaware River and Bay Lighthouse Foundation
- 2010 Preservation Grant: Point Lookout Lighthouse Preservation Society