1879: The U.S. Lighthouse Board recommends building a lighthouse at the end of the shoal of Greenbury Point to replace the existing lighthouse on land that is quickly eroding and in need of extensive repairs at a price of $25,000.
1889: After years of requests from the U.S. Lighthouse Board, Congress appropriates $25,000 to construct a lighthouse on the shoal to replace the one on land. Borings are made at the site to determine what the structure should be.
1890: It is decided to construct a screwpile lighthouse, like the structure at Sharkfin Shoal, MD.
1891: The Greenbury Point Shoal Lighthouse, a hexagon-shaped screwpile structure fitted with a sixth-order Fresnel lens is completed and the light is exhibited for the first time on November 15.
1892: The original lighthouse on land is discontinued and used as a daymark.
1899: New model fourth-order lamps are supplied.
1901: Soundings are made around the lighthouse and various repairs are made.
1914: Keeper Clinton B. Gray rescues two oystermen that had capsized in a canoe on December 26.
1915: Keeper Clinton B. Gray is awarded the inspectors’ efficiency star.
1918: The lighthouse and lens are damaged by heavy and dangerous ice floes.
1934: Greenbury Point Shoal Lighthouse is dismantled. An automated light on top of a skeletal tower is mounted to the remaining screwpile foundation.
2008: The screwpile foundation and light were removed on October 21.
- Annual Report of the Lighthouse Board, various years.
- Forgotten Beacons, Patrick Hornberger & Linda Turbyville, 1997.