Category: Blakistone Island

Keeper Bio: Josephine McWilliams Freeman

Date of Service: 1876 – 1912 1843:   Born on January 14 to parents Dr. Joseph & Eliza McWilliams in St. Mary’s County, Maryland. 1850:   Dr. Joseph L. McWilliams, the father of Josephine, sells 2.75 acres on the southwest corner of Blackistone Lighthouse at a price of $300 to the U.S. government as a …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/keeper-bio-josephine-freeman/

Timeline: Blackistone Island Lighthouse

(Located on the southern tip of St. Clement’s Island, St. Mary’s County, MD, on the mouth of the St. Marys’ River on the Potomac River. AKA Blakistone Island – revised 5/27/2020) 1851:   Two-story brick dwelling with an integral tower built on Blackistone Island by John Donahoo. 2nd last lighthouse built by Donahoo. 1857:  Tower …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/timeline-blackistone-island-lighthouse/

Blakistone Island Lighthouse

Blakistone Island Light was once located on Blackston Island. Today the island is better known as St. Clement’s Island. The island is only 5 miles downriver from Cobb Point Bar light. Congress appropriated $3,500 in 1848 for the lighthouse construction. John Donahoo was awarded the contract at a cost of $4,535. The structure was a …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/blakistone-island-lighthouse/