TO EDUCATE SCOUTS ON THE ROLE OF LIGHTHOUSES IN THE CHESAPEAKE BAY AREA,
HISTORY AND THE IMPORTANCE OF PRESERVING THEM FOR THE FUTURE.
The Chesapeake Chapter, U.S.L.H.S. “Keeping the Lights Shining” Scouts Patch Program is to educate scouts on the role of lighthouses in the Chesapeake Bay area; their history, keeper’s life and the importance of preserving them for the future.
- For Girl Scouts, starred activities fulfill requirements for the Lighthouse Try It, Lighthouse Badge, Lighthouse IPP and completes an activity for the Chesapeake Bay Patch.
- For Boy Scouts, starred activities fulfill some of the requirements for the American Heritage Merit Badge.
ABOUT THE CHESAPEAKE CHAPTER SCOUTS PATCH DESIGN
On a blue background, on the left, the combined gold fleur-de-lis positioned on a green trefoil, in the original Scouting colors chosen by Lord Baden-Powell, represent all scouts. In the center, the motto “Keeping the Lights Shining!”, encompasses the commitment to maintain the HISTORY, RESTORATION and PRESERVATION of lighthouses. On the right is the image of Thomas Point Shoal, which is representative of the Chesapeake Bay and is part of the Chesapeake Chapter logo. Patch size: 3” x 2”
© March 2012 – Patch design and program written by Maria Alvarez-Lundie, Communications Director, Chesapeake Chapter, U.S.L.H.S. Adapted from website research on Lighthouse Patch programs from GS of Northern California, Girl Scouts – North Carolina Coastal Pines, Suffolk County Girl Scout and Girl Scouts of Central and Southern NJ, Girl Scouts of Central Maryland and Boy Scouts merit badge information. A 2013 grant received from the Phase Foundation facilitated the purchase of the patches.
Contact: Education Coordinator, email: email@example.com
- Girl Scouts from Parkville Maryland Earn Chesapeake Chapter Scout Patch
- Cub Scout Troop Earns Chesapeake Chapter Scout Patch
- Four Girl Scout Troops Earn Chesapeake Chapter Scout Patch
- Girl Scouts from Centreville Maryland Earn Chesapeake Chapter Scout Patch
- Scouts take the 2017 MD Lighthouse Challenge
- Scouts Earn Chesapeake Chapter Scout Patch
- Girl Scout from Fredericksburg, VA Earns Chesapeake Chapter Scout Patch
- Scouts take the Challenge
- Girl Scouts and Webelo Pack from Indian Head, MD
- American Heritage Girls, Troop 0304, Dillsburg, PA
- Girl Scout Troop 4948, Calvert County, MD
- Webelos Pack 194 of Arlington, VA
- Bear Scouts Pack 787, Den 2 of California, MD