1826: Congress appropriates $3,500 to construct a lighthouse at Fog’s Point on the northwestern tip of Smith Island on May 18.
1827: Built by John Donahoo, the structure was a white brick house with a stone tower with a lantern placed on top of the roof dwelling.
1838: The light in the dwelling burns ten lamps with 16-inch reflectors. It is reported to be well maintained.
1850: It is reported that several of the zinc roof sheets are loose and the lantern room is somewhat leaky. The structure needs painting and whitewashing.
1855: A fifth-order Fresnel lens is installed on August 18.
1864: It is reported that the present lanterns are defective and need to be replaced.
1867: Franklin lamps are installed to replace the fountain lamps. New lanterns are installed.
1868: The station is reported to be in good condition.
1869: The station is reported to be in good condition.
1874: Congress appropriates $15,000 to construct a lighthouse, Solomon’s Lump, between Tangier Sound and the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia to replace Fog Point Lighthouse.
1875: Fog Point Lighthouse is discontinued and abandoned on September 10, after the completion of Solomon’s Lump Lighthouse.
- Annual Report of the Lighthouse Board, various years.
- Annual Report of the Secretary of the Treasury on the State of Finances, various years.
- Forgotten Beacons, Patrick Hornberger & Linda Turbyville, 1997