1887: The U.S. Lighthouse Board recommends building a screwpile lighthouse on Sharkfin Shoal at a price of $25,000. This light station would take the place of Clay Island lighthouse, which is being washed away due to erosion and needs many expensive repairs.
1889: Congress appropriates $25,000 to construct the lighthouse at Sharkfin Shoal. Borings are made at the site to determine what type of structure would be best suited.
1890: Plans and specs are prepared, and proposals are advertised in January for the metalwork. In April, the construction of the wooden superstructure begins at Lazaretto Depot in Baltimore, MD.
1891: The superstructure is completed and ready for transportation to the site.
1892: The superstructure and workers are loaded on a barge and towed to the site on June 3. The hexagonal lighthouse is equipped with a fourth-order lens and first exhibited on August 1.
1899: New model fourth-order lamps are installed, and materials are supplied for repairing the roof, gutters, and downspouts.
1901: Soundings are made around the lighthouse and various repairs are made.
1915: Keeper Walter C. Carew is awarded the efficiency gold star.
1918: Keeper Walter C. Carew rescues two men in a small boat and cares for them at the lighthouse from February 2 until February 8. Keeper Carew is awarded the commissioners’ efficiency star.
1947: Keeper Charles E. Palmquist is sent to Hooper Strait Lighthouse in the 23-foot station boat to remove Keeper G.F. Cottee. The boat catches on fire and both men are killed.
1964: The lighthouse is dismantled and an automatic light on a skeletal tower is mounted on the remaining screwpile foundation.
- Annual Report of the Lighthouse Board, various years.
- Annual Report of the Secretary of the Treasury on the State of Finances, various years.
- Forgotten Beacons, Patrick Hornberger & Linda Turbyville, 1997
- The Daily Times (Salisbury, Maryland), December 23, 1947