Category: Heritage-Maryland

Craighill Channel Lower Range Rear Lighthouse

Craighill Channel Lower Range Light Rear (Miller’s Island) was originally to be a screwpile light. The lighthouse was constructed in 1873 on 9 granite piers with a pyramidal iron skeletal tower with square central cylinder with a fourth order Fresnel lens. It is a unique style for the Chesapeake Bay and is painted with a …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/craighill-channel-lower-range-rear-lighthouse/

Craighill Channel Lower Range Front Lighthouse

Craighill Channel Lower Range Light Front (Craighill Light) is the second oldest cast iron, “spark plug” and caisson type lighthouse in the United States. Its design with a single-story keeper’s quarters is unique. Built in 1873 it had a fourth order Fresnel lens with a red lantern. The light was automated in 1964 with a …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/craighill-channel-lower-range-front-lighthouse/

Craighill Channel Upper Range Front Lighthouse

Craighill Channel Upper Range Light Front (Cutoff Channel Range Front, Ft. Howard) was built on the foundation of the old North Point Light. It is a small red and white brick octagonal tower. The original keeper’s quarters were located on shore with a wooden bridge connecting the light to the shore. After the bridge was …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/craighill-channel-upper-range-front-lighthouse/

Craighill Channel Upper Range Rear Lighthouse

Craighill Channel Upper Range Light Rear (Cutoff Channel Range Rear) was built in 1886 and consists of an iron frame supporting a wooden tower that is covered with corrugated iron. A locomotive headlight was used as the original lantern and the keeper lived in a house next to the tower. The light was automated in …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/craighill-channel-upper-range-rear-lighthouse/

Blakistone Island Lighthouse

  Blakistone Island Light was once located on Blackston Island. Today the island is better known as St. Clement’s Island. The island is only 5 miles downriver from Cobb Point Bar light. Congress appropriated $3,500 in 1848 for the lighthouse construction. John Donahoo was awarded the contract at a cost of $4,535. The structure was …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/blakistone-island-lighthouse/

Brewerton Range Front Lighthouse

                The two Brewerton Channel Range Lights were lighted on November 1, 1868. One structure was near Hawkins Point and the other on Leading Point. Together they marked the Brewerton Channel in the Patapsco River into Baltimore. The channel and range lights were named after Henry Brewerton, an …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/brewerton-range-front-lighthouse/

Lazaretto Point Lighthouse

The original tower on this point was built in 1831 by John Donahoo, the builder of 12 Chesapeake Bay lights. This was the tenth light that he was to build. It was 31 feet tall and was built of brick. The decision to build here was made because the government already owned five acres of …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/lazaretto-point-lighthouse/

Upper Cedar Point Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Upper Cedar Point Lighthouse was constructed in 1867 as a square screwpile lighthouse. It was located 2 miles west of Mathias Point on the Potomac River. Prior to the lighthouse being built a lightship was placed at this location in 1821. In the 1870s the lighthouse had African-American …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/upper-cedar-point-lighthouse/

Somers Cove Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Somers Cove Light was constructed in 1867 as a cottage screwpile lighthouse with a sixth order Fresnel lens. The cost of the construction was approximately $10,000. The lighthouse marked the entrance to Little Annemessex River at Crisfield, Maryland. The lighthouse was dismantled in 1932. Some of the original …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/somers-cove-lighthouse/

Sharkfin Shoal Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Sharkfin Shoal Light was constructed as a cottage screwpile lighthouse in 1892 with a fourth order Fresnel lens. It was located two miles southwest of Clay Island at the Nanticoke River. This lighthouse replaced the Clay Island Light that was located two miles to the northeast. The lighthouse …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/sharkfin-shoal-lighthouse/

Ragged Point Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Ragged Point Light was constructed in March 1910 as a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse with a fourth order Fresnel lens. It was the last lighthouse built in the Chesapeake Bay area. It was built at Coles Point, near the Virginia shore in Westmoreland County, to mark a shoal that …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/ragged-point-lighthouse/

Mathias Point Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Mathias Point Shoal Lighthouse was built in 1876. It was a hexagonal screwpile cottage lighthouse described as resembling a wedding cake. The light had a fifth order Fresnel lens. It was located between the Port Tobacco River and Potomac River near the Virginia shoreline upriver from Dahlgren, VA. …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/mathias-point-lighthouse/

Maryland Point Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Maryland Point Light was a white hexagonal screwpile cottage with dormer windows and a red roof built in 1892. The light was located in middle of the Potomac River halfway between Fairview Beach, VA and Caledon Natural Area State Park in King George County, VA. The cottage was …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/maryland-point-lighthouse/

Lower Cedar Point Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Lower Cedar Point Light was established in 1867 to replace a lightship (1825-1861) that was burned and destroyed by Confederate forces. A second lightship provided services in 1864. A screwpile lighthouse was built in 1867 in the middle of the Potomac River downstream from the Potomac River Bridge …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/lower-cedar-point-lighthouse-2/

Baltimore Harbor Lighthouse

  Baltimore Harbor Light is a cylindrical white two-story brick lighthouse built on a caisson foundation. Its construction began in 1904 at the mouth of the Magothy River and the entrance to the Baltimore Harbor. This was the last lighthouse to be built on the Chesapeake Bay. The original request for a lighthouse was made …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/baltimore-lighthouse/

Love Point Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Love Point Light was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse built in 1872 at a cost of $15,000. It was located at the mouth of the Chester River and the Chesapeake Bay. It was a duplicate of the original Choptank River Light. Two of the main columns of the lighthouse …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/love-point-lighthouse/

Janes Island Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Janes Island Lighthouse was a screwpile built to replace a lightship that was stationed at Tangier Sound in the entrance to Little Annemessex River just west of Crisfield, MD. The first lighthouse was constructed in 1867 and destroyed by moving ice on January 20, 1879. The next lighthouse, …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/janes-island-lighthouse/

Holland Island Bar Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard   Holland Island Bar Light was originally a white hexagonal cottage screwpile structure built in 1889. The light was located in the Chesapeake Bay west of Holland Island, north of the Smith Island. In 1931 the lighthouse keeper was mysteriously found dead in his bed at the lighthouse. …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/holland-island-bar-lighthouse/

Greenbury Point Shoals Lighthouse

  Greenbury Point Shoal Light Station was constructed in 1849. It was located in the mouth of the Severn River marking the entrance to Annapolis Harbor. It was equipped with a steamer’s lens on May 14, 1855. The lighthouse was a 1½ story dwelling with a tall octagonal tower rising from its center. Lighthouse Board …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/greenbury-point-shoals-lighthouse/

Great Shoals Lighthouse

Photo courtesy of Coast Guard. Great Shoals Lighthouse was constructed in 1884 at the entrance to Wicomico River, Chesapeake Bay. The square cottage was pre-fabricated at the Lazaretto Depot in Baltimore and all the components were shipped to the construction site in July 1884. The light was completed in 32 days. In 1884 a fifth …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/great-shoals-lighthouse/

Fog Point Lighthouse

Fog Point Lighthouse was constructed in 1827 on the northern tip of Smith Island, Chesapeake Bay off of Crisfield by John Donohoo. It was used to marked the narrow passage north of Smith Island through Kedges Strait. The lighthouse was a white screwpile with a lantern placed on the roof of the dwelling and used …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/fog-point-lighthouse/

Cedar Point Lighthouse

In 1896, the Light House Board requested $25,000 from Congress to build Cedar Point lighthouse on the southern side at the mouth of the Patuxent River to mark a dangerous sand bar. Cedar Point sat on 1.54 acres with a three-story brick and cedar-shingle house crowned by a 50-foot tower housing lens and fog bell …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/cedar-point-lighthouse-2/

Cobb Point Bar Lighthouse

The Cobb Point Bar, also know as Cobb Island Bar, was a square cottage screwpile that was pre-fabricated at Lazaretto Depot using the same plans as the light at Tangier Sound in Virginia. The pre-fabricated sections were brought to the site and assembled in a little over 30 days. The lighthouse was commissioned on December …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/cobb-point-lighthouse/

Clay Island Lighthouse

                        Clay Island Lighthouse was built in 1832 and deactivated in 1892 and was located at the entrance to the Wicomico River on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay at the confluence of Nanticoke River, Fishing Bay, and Tangier Sound. It was a …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/clay-island-lighthouse/

Choptank River Lighthouse

The Choptank River Light was constructed in 1870 and was a hexagonal cottage style screw pile lighthouse built by Francis A. Gibbons. The lighthouse sat at Bernoni Point in the Choptank River and replaced the Lightship Hooper Strait/Relief (LV 25) that was anchored there from 1870-1871. This lighthouse was similar in style to the York …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/choptank-river-lighthouse/

Turkey Point Lighthouse

  Turkey Point Lighthouse is located in the Elk Neck State Park. It was authorized by Congress in 1831 and was built in 1833 with a tower and keeper’s quarters by John Donohoo. The tower is 35 feet high and is situated on a 100-foot bluff where the North East and Elk Rivers converge. Originally, …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/turkey-point-lighthouse/

Thomas Point Shoals Lighthouse

  Perhaps the most photographed lighthouse in The Chesapeake Bay, The Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse is the last screwpile structure left on its original sitein the bay. It went into service on November 27, 1875, to replace a light on the shore at Thomas Point at the entrance to the South River. The Lighthouse Board …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/thomas-point-lighthouse/

Solomon’s Lump Lighthouse

  The first lighthouse erected here in 1875 was a square cottage style screwpile design. It replaced a light at Fog Point on Cherry Island about a mile to the south that was built in 1827. The screwpile lasted for 18 years until January of 1893 when ice build up caused the structure to be …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/solomons-lump-lighthouse/

Sharps Island Lighthouse

  The Sharps Island lighthouse is a cast iron caisson filled with concrete with a brick lined cast iron tower built on top. The tower is 37 feet tall which sets the light 54 feet above the mean water level. This structure was constructed in 1881-2 and first lit on February 1, 1882. This is …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/sharps-island-lighthouse/

Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse

Seven Foot Knoll Light was the second screwpile light to be built on the Chesapeake and the first to be built in Maryland. It is built entirely of iron and in a circular design, which is unique among the Bay’s screwpiles along with its barn red color. It was constructed in 1855 at the mouth …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/seven-foot-knoll-lighthouse/