Category: 40+3

Lazaretto Point Lighthouse (Replica)*

In 1985, the new owners of the Rukert Terminals Corporation, (the son and nephew of late Norman G. Rukert Sr.) decided to erect a replica of the Lazaretto Point light to honor Rukerts, Sr.’s memory. He had been a historian and a person who had loved the Baltimore waterfront. The replica was built from the …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/lazaretto-point-lighthouse-replica/

Choptank River Lighthouse (Replica)*

Choptank Replica

The City of Cambridge, Maryland, approved plans to build an exact replica of the lost Choptank River Lighthouse. After many years, the Maryland Legislature passed and Governor O’Malley signed legislation allowing this over water structure. The replica was completed in the fall of 2012. For more information: www.choptankriverlighthouse.org. The Choptank River Lighthouse Replica is located …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/choptank-river-lighthouse-replica/

Stingray Point (Replica)*

Stingray Point Replica

Stingray Point Lighthouse was built in 1858 at the entrance to the Rappahannock River near Deltaville, Virginia. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse. The lighthouse was automated just prior to being dismantled in 1965. Sections of the lighthouse were sold to Gilbert Purcell, a boatyard owner who hoped to rebuild the lighthouse on land, but …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/stingray-point-replica/

Old Plantation Flats (Replica)*

In the spring of 2004, Bay Creek Resort & Club, Cape Charles, VA, built an exact replica of Old Plantation Flats Lighthouse in a man-made lake along the shores of Chesapeake Bay, just two miles from the original station. As of 2013, it’s not yet open to the public. TIMELINE MAP/DIRECTIONS Geocache GPS:   

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/old-plantation-flats-replica/

Blackistone Island Lighthouse (Replica)*

Blackistone Replica

                      The original lighthouse was decommissioned in 1932 and stood until July 16, 1956 when it caught fire and was destroyed. It is thought that the fire was caused by a shell from the nearby Naval station. The Navy razed the remains of the abandoned …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/blackistone-island-lighthouse-replica/

Overfalls Lightship

LV118/WAL539 was built by the Rice Brothers of East Boothbay, Maine in 1938. The contract price was $223,900. The lightship served at the Cornfield Point (1938-1957), Cross Rip (1958-1962) and Boston (1962-1972) stations, but never served at Overfalls. The ship was decommissioned in November, 1972, then donated to the Lewes Historical Society in August of the following year. After that …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/overfalls-lightship/

Craighill Channel Lower Range Rear Lighthouse

Craighill Channel Lower Range Light Rear (Miller’s Island) was originally to be a screwpile light. The lighthouse was constructed in 1873 on 9 granite piers with a pyramidal iron skeletal tower with square central cylinder with a fourth order Fresnel lens. It is a unique style for the Chesapeake Bay and is painted with a …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/craighill-channel-lower-range-rear-lighthouse/

Craighill Channel Lower Range Front Lighthouse

Craighill Channel Lower Range Light Front (Craighill Light) is the second oldest cast iron, “spark plug” and caisson type lighthouse in the United States. Its design with a single-story keeper’s quarters is unique. Built in 1873 it had a fourth order Fresnel lens with a red lantern. The light was automated in 1964 with a …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/craighill-channel-lower-range-front-lighthouse/

Craighill Channel Upper Range Front Lighthouse

Craighill Channel Upper Range Light Front (Cutoff Channel Range Front, Ft. Howard) was built on the foundation of the old North Point Light. It is a small red and white brick octagonal tower. The original keeper’s quarters were located on shore with a wooden bridge connecting the light to the shore. After the bridge was …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/craighill-channel-upper-range-front-lighthouse/

Craighill Channel Upper Range Rear Lighthouse

Craighill Channel Upper Range Light Rear (Cutoff Channel Range Rear) was built in 1886 and consists of an iron frame supporting a wooden tower that is covered with corrugated iron. A locomotive headlight was used as the original lantern and the keeper lived in a house next to the tower. The light was automated in …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/craighill-channel-upper-range-rear-lighthouse/

Baltimore Harbor Lighthouse

  Baltimore Harbor Light is a cylindrical white two-story brick lighthouse built on a caisson foundation. Its construction began in 1904 at the mouth of the Magothy River and the entrance to the Baltimore Harbor. This was the last lighthouse to be built on the Chesapeake Bay. The original request for a lighthouse was made …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/baltimore-lighthouse/

Portsmouth Lightship

LV101 was built in 1915 and was first stationed off Cape Charles, VA at the CHARLES light station. She served there until 1924, when she was moved to the OVERFALLS light station off the Delaware Bay. She served at that station from 1925 until 1951, when she was moved to several stations in New England …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/portsmouth-lightship/

Chesapeake Lightship

LV116 was built by the Dry-dock & Machine Company in Charleston, SC in 1929. The contract price was $274,434. The LV116 was launched on October 22, 1929 and completed fitting out by August 14, 1930. She was considered “the finest afloat”. She was driven by diesel electric propulsion, with one 350 h.p. electric motor turned …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/chesapeake-lightship/

Delaware Breakwater East End

Delaware Breakwater Light was built in 1885, and positioned such that it could be seen from both the harbor and the ocean. It is a brown brick conical tower on a concrete and stone caisson. The light originally had a fourth order Fresnel lens but was replaced with an airport style beacon in 1973. The …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/delaware-breakwater-east-end/

Harbor of Refuge

Harbor of Refuge Breakwater Light is the third lighthouse to be built on this site. In 1825 Congress authorized construction of a breakwater at Lewes to meet the demands for a place where ships could seek shelter behind Cape Henlopen, Delaware. The Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse sits at the end of a breakwater on the …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/harbor-of-refuge/

Fenwick Island

The lighthouse was authorized to be built in 1856 at a cost of $23,748.96. Work was begun on the 87 foot tall tower in 1857 and first lit on August 1, 1858. The light was needed to protect shipping from the treacherous Fenwick sand shoals that extend several miles out from the Delaware coast. The …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/fenwick-island/

Turkey Point Lighthouse

  Turkey Point Lighthouse is located in the Elk Neck State Park. It was authorized by Congress in 1831 and was built in 1833 with a tower and keeper’s quarters by John Donohoo. The tower is 35 feet high and is situated on a 100-foot bluff where the North East and Elk Rivers converge. Originally, …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/turkey-point-lighthouse/

Thomas Point Shoals Lighthouse

  Perhaps the most photographed lighthouse in The Chesapeake Bay, The Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse is the last screwpile structure left on its original sitein the bay. It went into service on November 27, 1875, to replace a light on the shore at Thomas Point at the entrance to the South River. The Lighthouse Board …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/thomas-point-lighthouse/

Solomon’s Lump Lighthouse

  The first lighthouse erected here in 1875 was a square cottage style screwpile design. It replaced a light at Fog Point on Cherry Island about a mile to the south that was built in 1827. The screwpile lasted for 18 years until January of 1893 when ice build up caused the structure to be …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/solomons-lump-lighthouse/

Sharps Island Lighthouse

  The Sharps Island lighthouse is a cast iron caisson filled with concrete with a brick lined cast iron tower built on top. The tower is 37 feet tall which sets the light 54 feet above the mean water level. This structure was constructed in 1881-2 and first lit on February 1, 1882. This is …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/sharps-island-lighthouse/

Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse

Seven Foot Knoll Light was the second screwpile light to be built on the Chesapeake and the first to be built in Maryland. It is built entirely of iron and in a circular design, which is unique among the Bay’s screwpiles along with its barn red color. It was constructed in 1855 at the mouth …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/seven-foot-knoll-lighthouse/

Sandy Point Shoal Lighthouse

  In 1883 the Sandy Point Shoal caisson with a 37-foot Empire-style eight-sided, red brick tower with a white roof and black lantern housing a 4th order Fresnel lens was built. This caisson replaced an earlier Sandy Point Light that had been built on land where Sandy Point State Park is located now. It was …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/sandy-point-shoal-lighthouse/

Pooles Island Lighthouse

NOTE: This light is off limits to the general public because the island was used for bombing and shelling practice from 1918 through the early 1960’s. There are many unexploded bombs and shells all over the island. The light on Pooles Island was authorized by Congress in May of 1824. John Donahoo was the low …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/pooles-island-lighthouse/

Point No Point Lighthouse

The first requests for placing a light at this location were sent to Congress in 1891. Congress took no action and the requests were made each year until finally in 1901 $65,000 was granted for the building of the light. Contracts were let for the fabrication of the caisson and the iron work in 1902. …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/point-no-point-lighthouse/

Point Lookout Lighthouse

The Point Lookout Lighthouse is located at the mouth of the Potomac River at the Bay and was originally constructed in 1830 as a one-and-a-half story wooden and masonry building. It was raised to two-stories in 1883 with the light raised to 41 feet. A free-standing fog bell was built in 1872, however, after the buoy repair shed …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/point-lookout-lighthouse/

Piney Point Lighthouse

The Piney Point Lighthouse was built in 1836 by John Donohoo. Congress appropriated $5,000 in March of 1835 for its construction. In late December of 1835 2.6 acres of land were acquired from Henry Suter for $300. About 14 miles up river from the Point Lookout lighthouse, Piney Point is the oldest light on the …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/piney-point-lighthouse/

Hooper Strait Lighthouse

The entrance to Tangier Sound was marked with a lightship from 1827 or 1828 to 1845. The first lighthouse was constructed in 1867 and destroyed by ice during the winter of 1877. The second screwpile lighthouse was constructed in 1880. The structure was designed and built in Baltimore, then dismantled and re-erected at the site …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/hooper-strait-lighthouse-2/

Wolf Trap

The Wolf Trap light is located in 16 feet of water on the eastern end of the Wolf Trap Spit south of where the Rappahannock River enters the Chesapeake Bay. It is a caisson tower with its light 52 feet above mean high water. Congress first appropriated funds for a light at Windmill Point or …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/wolf-trap/

Thimble Shoal

The first Thimble Shoal Lighthouse was a six-sided screwpile light erected in 1872. This light was first lit on October 15, 1872. This light replaced the last lightship in the bay. The light was listed as 3 ½ miles east of Old Point Comfort at Willoughby’s Spit and The Thimble entrance to Hampton Roads. On …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/thimble-shoal/

Smith Point

Smith Point is located on the Southern side where the Potomac River enters the Bay. The first light at this point was erected in 1802. Erosion of the shore line caused the light to be moved in 1807. In 1821 a lightship was stationed off the point. In 1828 erosion again forced the Light-House Board …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/smith-point/