Category Archive: Heritage-Maryland

Sandy Point Shoal Lighthouse

  In 1883 the Sandy Point Shoal caisson with a 37-foot Empire-style eight-sided, red brick tower with a white roof and black lantern housing a 4th order Fresnel lens was built. This caisson replaced an earlier Sandy Point Light that had been built on land where Sandy Point State Park is located now. It was …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/sandy-point-shoal-lighthouse/

Pooles Island Lighthouse

NOTE: This light is off limits to the general public because the island was used for bombing and shelling practice from 1918 through the early 1960’s. There are many unexploded bombs and shells all over the island. The light on Pooles Island was authorized by Congress in May of 1824. John Donahoo was the low …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/pooles-island-lighthouse/

Point No Point Lighthouse

The first requests for placing a light at this location were sent to Congress in 1891. Congress took no action and the requests were made each year until finally in 1901 $65,000 was granted for the building of the light. Contracts were let for the fabrication of the caisson and the iron work in 1902. …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/point-no-point-lighthouse/

Point Lookout Lighthouse

The Point Lookout Lighthouse is located at the mouth of the Potomac River at the Bay and was originally constructed in 1830 as a one-and-a-half story wooden and masonry building. It was raised to two-stories in 1883 with the light raised to 41 feet. A free-standing fog bell was built in 1872, however, after the buoy repair shed …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/point-lookout-lighthouse/

Piney Point Lighthouse

The Piney Point Lighthouse was built in 1836 by John Donohoo. Congress appropriated $5,000 in March of 1835 for its construction. In late December of 1835 2.6 acres of land were acquired from Henry Suter for $300. About 14 miles up river from the Point Lookout lighthouse, Piney Point is the oldest light on the …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/piney-point-lighthouse/

Hooper Strait Lighthouse

The entrance to Tangier Sound was marked with a lightship from 1827 or 1828 to 1845. The first lighthouse was constructed in 1867 and destroyed by ice during the winter of 1877. The second screwpile lighthouse was constructed in 1880. The structure was designed and built in Baltimore, then dismantled and re-erected at the site …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/hooper-strait-lighthouse-2/

Fort Washington Lighthouse

  This active light station was established in 1857 at Fort Washington along the Potomac River south of Washington, D. C. The light was authorized by the United States Secretary of War Jefferson Davis, who a few years later became the President of the Confederate States of America. The initial light was an illuminating apparatus …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/fort-washington-lighthouse/

Fort Carroll Lighthouse*

  Fort Carroll Light was originally built on a parapet of Fort Carroll in 1854 with a sixth order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse and fog bell were removed in 1898 to make room for the fort’s expansion. A new light was constructed in December of the same year; a square wooden tower with black cast …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/fort-carroll-lighthouse/

Fishing Battery Lighthouse*

Fishing Battery Light was constructed as a integral one-story brick house with a wooden rooftop lantern built by John Donahoo in 1853 and contained a sixth order Fresnel lens. This was the last lighthouse constructed by Donahoo on the Chesapeake Bay and one of the last lighthouses ordered by the Pleasonton administration. The light is …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/fishing-battery-lighthouse/

Bodkin Island Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard First established in 1822 (discontinued in 1855) the Bodkin Island Lighthouse would have been visible from the North Overlook in the distance. It has long since crumbled and what remains of the lighthouse and the island on which it stood now show only as a ‘navigational hazard’ on present-day …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/bodkin-island-lighthouse/

Bloody Point Bar Lighthouse

      The U.S. Lighthouse Board received several requests for the establishment of a lighthouse on Kent Island. Bloody Point Bar was the final choice and a request was submitted in 1868 to mark both the bar and the northern entrance to the Eastern Bay. The request was repeated in 1869. In March of …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/bloody-point-lighthouse/

Hooper Island Lighthouse

  Hooper Island Lighthouse is one of only five lights constructed in the Bay during the 1900’s.  The Hooper Island Lighthouse is located in approximately 18′ of water, approximately three miles west of Hooperville, Upper Hooper Island. It is a caisson style light, sunk 13.5 feet into the muddy bottom of the Bay.  It was …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/hooper-island-lighthouse/

Drum Point Lighthouse

Drum Point Lighthouse was originally located along the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay at the northern side of the mouth of the Patuxent River. Efforts to place a light at this location began in the 1850’s due to the need for a light to mark the location of shoals around the point. Disputes between …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/drum-point-lighthouse-2/

Concord Point Lighthouse

Concord Point Light is a 36-foot tower that was built in 1827. It is the second oldest tower lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay and the oldest continuous lighthouse in Maryland. The tower is built at the point where the Susquehanna River meets the tidal flow of the Chesapeake Bay and navigation is very hazardous around …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/concord-point-lighthouse/

Cove Point Lighthouse

Cove Point Light Station April 2013 Cove Point Lighthouse is located in Calvert County along the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay four miles north of the mouth of the Patuxent River. The lighthouse was built in 1828 to mark the shoal that extends outwards from the scenic point of land toward the shipping channel …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/cove-point-lighthouse-2/

» Newer posts