LV118/WAL539 was built by the Rice Brothers of East Boothbay, Maine in 1938. The contract price was $223,900. The lightship served at the Cornfield Point (1938-1957), Cross Rip (1958-1962) and Boston (1962-1972) stations, but never served at Overfalls. The ship was decommissioned in November, 1972, then donated to the Lewes Historical Society in August of the following year. After that the ship was put on display on the Lewes (Delaware) waterfront.
Of the 17 lightships that still exist, two of them actually served as the Overfalls. LV101 / WAL524 is now a museum in Portsmouth, Virginia and WLV605 is the RELIEF in Jack London Square, California. Until recently WLV605 was owned and maintained by the U.S. Lighthouse Society. It is now operated as a training vessel for Merchant Marines.
The Overfalls has undergone extensive restoration and is open for public tours. For tour information and admission prices, visit the Overfalls Foundation web site.
Top photo taken August, 2012 by Tony Pasek. Bottom photo September, 2007 by Alma Pasek.
GPS: 38.778644, -75.141206