LV101 was built in 1915 and was first stationed off Cape Charles, VA at the CHARLES light station. She served there until 1924, when she was moved to the OVERFALLS light station off the Delaware Bay. She served at that station from 1925 until 1951, when she was moved to several stations in New England until her retirement in 1964. She was later moved to Portsmouth, VA, and made into a landlocked museum. She was renamed the PORTSMOUTH as is the custom to take on the name of the station where “standing duty”, even though there has never been an actual PORTSMOUTH aids to navigation light station.
The lightship is part of the Portsmouth Museums, and is associated with the Naval Shipyard Museum.
Click here for current hours and admission information.
Photo taken August 2012 by A. Pasek.
GPS: 36.837015, -76.296091