Category: Crossed the Bar

Lower Cedar Point Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Lower Cedar Point Light was established in 1867 to replace a lightship (1825-1861) that was burned and destroyed by Confederate forces. A second lightship provided services in 1864. A screwpile lighthouse was built in 1867 in the middle of the Potomac River downstream from the Potomac River Bridge …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/lower-cedar-point-lighthouse-2/

Bowlers Rock Lightship

A total of two lightships were stationed in the upper Rappahannock River approximately 34 miles above its entrance into the Chesapeake Bay and approximately 8-1/2 miles downriver from the town of Tappahannock to mark a rock on the east side of the channel. From 1835-1861, LV” O” served the station. This was a wood framed …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/bowlers-rock-lightship/

Love Point Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Love Point Light was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse built in 1872 at a cost of $15,000. It was located at the mouth of the Chester River and the Chesapeake Bay. It was a duplicate of the original Choptank River Light. Two of the main columns of the lighthouse …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/love-point-lighthouse/

Janes Island Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Janes Island Lighthouse was a screwpile built to replace a lightship that was stationed at Tangier Sound in the entrance to Little Annemessex River just west of Crisfield, MD. The first lighthouse was constructed in 1867 and destroyed by moving ice on January 20, 1879. The next lighthouse, …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/janes-island-lighthouse/

Holland Island Bar Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard Holland Island Bar Light was originally a white hexagonal cottage screwpile structure built in 1889. The light was located in the Chesapeake Bay west of Holland Island, north of the Smith Island. In 1931 the lighthouse keeper was mysteriously found dead in his bed at the lighthouse. In …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/holland-island-bar-lighthouse/

Greenbury Point Shoals Lighthouse

Greenbury Point Shoal Light Station was constructed in 1849. It was located in the mouth of the Severn River marking the entrance to Annapolis Harbor. It was equipped with a steamer’s lens on May 14, 1855. The lighthouse was a 1½ story dwelling with a tall octagonal tower rising from its center.Lighthouse Board 1878 report …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/greenbury-point-shoals-lighthouse/

Great Shoals Lighthouse

Great Shoals Lighthouse was constructed in 1884 at the entrance to Wicomico River, Chesapeake Bay. The square cottage was pre-fabricated at the Lazaretto Depot in Baltimore and all the components were shipped to the construction site in July 1884. The light was completed in 32 days. In 1884 a fifth order Fresnel lens was installed. …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/great-shoals-lighthouse/

Fog Point Lighthouse

Fog Point Lighthouse was constructed in 1827 on the northern tip of Smith Island, Chesapeake Bay off of Crisfield by John Donohoo. It was used to marked the narrow passage north of Smith Island through Kedges Strait. The lighthouse was a white screwpile with a lantern placed on the roof of the dwelling and used …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/fog-point-lighthouse/

Cedar Point Lighthouse

In 1896, the Light House Board requested $25,000 from Congress to build Cedar Point lighthouse on the southern side at the mouth of the Patuxent River to mark a dangerous sand bar. Cedar Point sat on 1.54 acres with a three-story brick and cedar-shingle house crowned by a 50-foot tower housing lens and fog bell …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/cedar-point-lighthouse-2/

Cobb Point Bar Lighthouse

The Cobb Point Bar, also known as Cobb Island Bar was a square cottage screwpile that was pre-fabricated at Lazaretto Depot using the same plans as the light at Tangier Sound in Virginia. The pre-fabricated sections were brought to the site and assembled in a little over 30 days. The lighthouse was commissioned on December …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/cobb-point-lighthouse/

Clay Island Lighthouse

image placeholder

Clay Island Lighthouse was built in 1832 and deactivated in 1892 and was located at the entrance to the Wicomico River on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay at the confluence of Nanticoke River, Fishing Bay, and Tangier Sound. It was a small 1-½ story building with the tower on the roof. Sharkfin Shoal …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/clay-island-lighthouse/

Choptank River Lighthouse

Choptank Replica

The Choptank River Light was constructed in 1870 and was a hexagonal cottage style screw pile lighthouse built by Francis A. Gibbons. The lighthouse sat at Bernoni Point in the Choptank River and replaced the Lightship Hooper Strait/Relief (LV 25) that was anchored there from 1870-1871. This lighthouse was similar in style to the York …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/choptank-river-lighthouse/

York Spit Lighthouse

York Spit Lighthouse was built in 1870 in the Chesapeake Bay about 5 miles east of Rue Point at the southern entrance to the York River, Virginia. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse with two additional fender piles, one on each of the ebb and flow sides of the structure for additional stability against ice …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/york-spit/

Windmill Point Lighthouse

Windmill Point Lighthouse was built in 1869 at the entrance to the Rappahannock River on the north side. Three separate lightships were originally stationed here from 1834 until the lighthouse was constructed. Confederates took the first lightship in 1861. The lighthouse was a white hexagonal screwpile style that was assembled at Lazaretto Depot in Maryland. …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/windmill-point/

White Shoal Lighthouse

White Shoal Lighthouse was built in 1855 and was one of three screwpiles lighted on February 6 in the James River. The lighthouse was located below Sandy Point on the lower end of the shoal and on the right side of the main channel heading upriver near Newport News, Virginia. It was built to replace …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/white-shoal/

Watts Island

Watts Island Lighthouse was built in 1833 on Little Watts Island, a seven-acre island, just south of Watts Island between the Eastern Shore peninsula and Tangier Island. In 1867, John Donohoo of Havre De Grace, Maryland built the original 48′ foot tower in 1833. It had a fifth-order Fresnel lens. The keeper’s quarters, at 20 by …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/watts-island/

Tue Marshes

Originally called “Too’s Marshes” the Tue Marshes Lighthouse was built in 1875 at the entrance to the York River on the Goodwin Islands. It was a square screwpile lighthouse and was built at a cost of $15,000. It had two additional fender piles, one on each of the ebb and flow sides of the structure …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/tue-marshes/

Stingray Point Lighthouse

Stingray Point Lighthouse was built in 1858 at the entrance to the Rappahannock River near Deltaville, Virginia. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse. The lighthouse was automated just prior to being dismantled in 1965. Sections of the lighthouse were sold to Gilbert Purcell, a boatyard owner who hoped to rebuild the lighthouse on land but …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/stingray-point/

Pungoteague River

Pungoteague River Lighthouse was built in 1854 just offshore near the entrance to the Pungoteague Creek in Accomack County, Virginia. It was the first screwpile built in the Chesapeake Bay and was built by Major Bache. It was constructed on seven pneumatic piles and was equipped with a fifth-order lens. The lighthouse was overturned by …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/pungoteague-river/

Old Plantation Flats Lighthouse

Old Plantation Flats Lighthouse was built in 1886 as a white rectangular screwpile with a tower on the roof. The lighthouse was located at the entrance to the channel leading to Cape Charles, Virginia and Old Plantation Creek. The lighthouse had an unusual foundation construction with a combination of screwpile and concrete pylons. The lighthouse …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/old-plantation-flats/

Nansemond River

Due to increased river traffic in the Nansemond area, Congress appropriated $15,000 on July 31, 1876, to construct a lighthouse Pig Point on the eastern side of the entrance to the Nansemond River in Suffolk, Virginia. The following year, a tract of land was obtained from the Governor of Virginia to construct the light. The …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/nansemond-river/

Lamberts Point

Lamberts Point Lighthouse was built in 1872 on the shore of the Elizabeth River in Norfolk, Virginia. It was a square screwpile set on five piles. The house was brown in color and the lantern had a red light of the fifth order. The foundation settled unevenly, perhaps due to the missing sixth pile, and …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/lamberts-point/

Killock Shoal

On July 7, 1884, Congress appropriated $10,000 to construct a light on the north end of the Chincoteague Channel just adjacent to Chincoteague Island, known as the Killock Shoal Lighthouse (sometimes spelled Killick). After the site was selected, borings were made at a depth of seventeen feet, which showed that the bottom of the Bay …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/killock-shoal/

Jordan Point Lighthouse

Jordan Point Lighthouse-1885/National Archives Photo

Jordan Point Lighthouse was built in 1855 in the upper James River near Hopewell, Virginia, twenty miles from Richmond. Jordan Point was one of four early navigational aids on the James River leading to Richmond. The first lighthouse was a white, twenty-four foot by 17-foot rectangular two-story structure supported on stone piers with the lantern …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/jordan-point/

Hog Island

The first Hog Island Lighthouse was built in 1852 and was a white conical brick tower. This lighthouse lasted until 1896 when it was replaced with a cast-iron pyramidal skeletal tower with a central cylinder. This lighthouse was similar to the Cape Charles lighthouse today. Both lighthouses were built on what was the southern end …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/hog-island/

Great Wicomico River

On October 2, 1888, Congress appropriated $25,000 to build a lighthouse at the mouth of the Great Wicomico River on Virginia’s Western Shore. This would help guide mariners through two shallow shoals at the entrance of the river. Proposals for bids went out in January 1889 for the ironwork. The winning bid was for $13,975 …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/great-wicomico-river/

Dutch Gap Canal

Dutch Gap Canal Lights were constructed at either end of the canal in 1875 near Hopewell, Virginia on the upper James River. The lights were two 27-foot post lights. The lights were originally to be a sixth-order, but it was decided to use small lanterns, burning mineral oil. The canal was constructed by Union troops …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/dutch-gap-canal/

Deep Water Shoal

The first Deep Water Shoal Lighthouse was built in 1855 on the James River northeast of Fort Eustis on the shoal on the right side of the channel, above Mulberry Island Point and below Lyon’s Creek. The light was first exhibited on February 6, 1855. It was a small, twenty-foot square, four-room white dwelling with …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/deep-water-shoal/

Craney Island

Photo courtesy U.S Coast Guard (1884 lighthouse). The first permanent lightship station in the United States was anchored in 1820 in the lower Chesapeake Bay on the west side of the channel near the mouth of the Elizabeth River to guide vessels approaching Norfolk & Portsmouth harbors. This lightship was originally stationed at Willoughby Spit, …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/craney-island/

Cherrystone Bar

Photo taken at Choptank River location. The original request to build a small, screwpile lighthouse to mark the entrance to Cherrystone Harbor was in 1853.  Congress later appropriated $10,000 on August 3, 1854. Cherrystone Bar Lighthouse was completed and first lighted on January 1, 1858. It was a white, hexagonal screwpile lighthouse built just south …

Continue reading

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/cherrystone-bar/