Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard
Holland Island Bar Light was originally a white hexagonal cottage screwpile structure built in 1889. The light was located in the Chesapeake Bay west of Holland Island, north of the Smith Island.
In 1931 the lighthouse keeper was mysteriously found dead in his bed at the lighthouse.
In 1957, Navy aircraft doing a routine practice night bombing raid mistakenly dropped targeting flares on the lighthouse instead of the target ship. The planes then proceeded to bomb and demolish the lighthouse with unarmed rockets. The two keepers at the light were injured in the process.
The current light was constructed in 1960 on the original screwpile foundation and is a steel skeletal tower. Accessible only by boat.