Upper Cedar Point Lighthouse

Photo Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard

In 1821, a lightship was stationed at the location of the Upper Cedar Point Lighthouse.  For the next 46 years, a total of four lightships remained there until the Lighthouse Board began replacing lightships with permanent structures.  In 1867, a white, square screwpile light was built.  It was nearly identical in appearance to the lighthouse at Lower Cedar Point and was fitted with a fifth order Franklin type Fresnel lens and hand operated fog bell.  Over the years, unique identifying touches were added so that the two structures could be distinguished more easily from each other.

After Mathias Point Shoal light was built just 2 miles away in 1876, Upper Cedar Point light was discontinued.  During this time, the fog bell was still operated by Keeper Peter Street at an annual salary of $250.  After many complaints, it was relit on September 1,1882 and remained operational until 1963 when it was dismantled.

Under the Coast Guard’s automation plan, a small light was installed on the original foundation in 1963 and has a 6 second flashing light.  This light is accessible by boat only.

Keepers:  James Treakle (1867 – 1869), Thomas Bates (1869 – 1872), Richard M. Smoot (1872 – 1876), Peter Street (1876 – 1881), George R. Drew (1881 – 1887), Thomas E. Speake (1887 – 1917), Andrew J. Jarvis (1917 – at least 1922), John E. Morgan (? – 1925), Thomas H. Barnes (1925 – 1929), Thomas J. Steinhise (1929 – 1930), John C. Lewis (at least1939 -?), Floyd E. Crewe (1943 – 1947), Richard J. Wessells (at least 1948 -?)

Assistant Keepers:  George Faunce (1867 – 1872), James Treakle (1872), W. H. Hodgkins (1872 – 1873), Basil D. Mullen (1873 – 1875), Mary E. Smoot (1875 – 1876), Mrs. Buena V. Speake (1895 – 1917), David L. Barnett (1918 -?), James W. Simpson (at least 1919 – ?), William R. Hudgins (? – 1920), William A. Davis (1920 – 1921), Thomas H. Barnes (1921 – 1925), A. H. Etheridge (1925 – at least 1926), Thomas H. Barnes (1929 – 1944), William Flemming (before 1948 – ?), James B. Ligon (before 1948 – ?)


TIMELINE

MAP/DIRECTIONS

Geocache

GPS: 38.4027,-77.0826

 

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/upper-cedar-point-lighthouse/