(Located four miles north of the entrance of Patuxent River, Calvert County, MD. Oldest continuously operating lighthouse in MD- Revised 04/02/18)
1828 Forty-foot tall masonry tower marking the shoal that extends offshore near Calvert Cliffs, MD and detached keepers dwelling built by John Donahoo. Fitted with eleven lamps and 18” reflectors. James Somerville appointed first keeper.
1855 Reflecting apparatus replaced by Fifth-order Fresnel lens.
1857 Fourth-order lens installed.
1883 House enlarged with addition of second story.
1892 Wooden seawall constructed to halt erosion.
1928 Light electrified. Exhibits flashing white light every ten seconds.
1925 Keepers dwelling further enlarged.
1944 to 1953 Charles Linwood Sadler serves as First Assistant Keeper.
1953 Tower surfaced with cement.
1969 Air-powered horn replaced by electric diaphone.
1986 Station automated.
2000 US Coast Guard transfers Lighthouse and grounds to the Calvert Marine Museum (CMM), Solomons, MD.
2008 CMM receives grant to renovate tower interior.
2011 – 2012 Keeper’s house restored and renovated. House available as vacation rental.
Source: Bay Beacons by Linda Turbyville & Robert J. Hurry, registrar and Richard Dodds, curator – Calvert Marine Museum, Solomons, MD