(Northernmost Maryland Lighthouse – located on Susquehanna River in town of Havre de Grace, MD)
1827 Thirty-eight and a half foot tall conical tower of Port Deposit granite and detached keepers’ dwelling built on nearby separate land parcel by John Donahoo.
1827 John O’Neill, local hero from the War of 1812 appointed first keeper.
1855 Original lamp and reflectors replaced with a steamer’s lens. 1869 Steamer’s lens replaced by sixth-order Fresnel lens.
1884 Keepers’ dwelling expanded – second story added.
1891 Sixth-order lens replaced by fifth-order Fresnel lens.
1920 Harry O’Neill, great-grandson of John O’Neill serves as last keeper and light electrified and automated. Keeper’s dwelling sold – serves as an inn for a short time.
1975 Light decommissioned by Coast Guard. Fresnel lens disappears. Lighthouse given to City of Havre de Grace, MD for safekeeping.
1979 Local citizens band together to form Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse and assume care & upkeep of lighthouse and begins plans to restore keepers’ house. Light serves as private aid to navigation.
Source: Bay Beacons by Linda Turbyville