(One of the shorter-lived lighthouse on the Bay)
￼1896 Three story cottage style structure of wood & brick with a square white tower attached to one corner built on a peninsula near the entrance to the Patuxent River.
October 31, 1896 Fourth-order Fresnel lens flashing red at five-second intervals is lit.
1907 First erosion control project initiated.
1928 Lighthouse abandoned by the U.S. Coast Guard and sold to Arundel Corporation for $2,100. Lighthouse now surrounded by water. Automated beacon installed.
August 8, 1958 Island and Lighthouse deeded to Navy from Arundel Corporation.
December 14, 1981 Lighthouse lantern removed.
1984 Cupola on display at Patuxent Naval Air Test Museum.
October 17, 1996 Barge and crane remove roof, bricks, and “Sunburst” design which were delivered to Calvert Marine Museum, Solomons, MD.
Sources: Booklet – “Life at Cedar Point” by the NAS Patuxent River Natural & Cultural Resources Office, the Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum, “The Lighthouses of the Chesapeake” by Robert de Gast and Chapter’s website.