The 2015 Maryland Lighthouse Challenge
September 19 and 20
The event will take place Saturday and Sunday, September 19th and 20th. There will be an early bird date of Friday, September 18th for Challengers who want to jump start their Challenge adventure on Maryland’s eastern shore*!
The Lights of the 2015 Maryland Lighthouse Challenge:
The clockwise line-up of Mandatory Lights around the route includes:
- Concord Point
- Seven Foot Knoll
- Lightship Chesapeake
- Hooper Strait*
- Choptank River Replica*
- Drum Point
- Cove Point
- Piney Point
- Point Lookout
- Fort Washington
Complimentary souvenirs will be given at each Challenge location. You are welcome to visit any number of lighthouses along the Challenge route, but you will have to visit all mandatory stops to be able to proclaim “I’ve seen the lights!” and collect a specially designed souvenir to mark your accomplishment.
As of this writing, the line-up of Bonus Lights include:
- Sandy Point Shoal Lighthouse
- Blackistone Lighthouse Replica
Visiting these lighthouses is not counted toward event completion, but will take Challengers to two more beautiful Bay locations, earning them extra event souvenirs!
Each year, the Maryland Lighthouse Challenge has a theme. This year, the focus will be lighthouse architecture, with special emphasis on John Donohoo, the most prolific builder of Chesapeake Bay Lighthouses.
With all lighthouse types but one being presented along previous Challenge routes, look for exciting word this spring on the final, a SKELETAL TOWER, being added to this year’s line-up of lights! Stay tuned for this other Challenge news as it develops.
Mark your calendars now for this most celebratory Challenge of them all!
The Maryland Lighthouse Challenge…Making Maryland memories–one lighthouse at a time!
Contact: Challenge Coordinator, Karen Rosage, (410) 437-0741, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Challenge Rules are Simple
1. Print out the Driving Instructions (below).
2. Visit the nine lighthouses and 1 lightship noted above. (Or any number of the lights you choose to visit).
3. Collect the specially-designed commemorative souvenir from each.
4. Complete the visits within the designated hours of 8 am to 6:00 pm both days
5. Receive the “completion” souvenir at the last location IF you have visited all the others.
6. Sign the Challenge Completion Sheet.