(Located on south side of Kedges Strait near Smith Island between the Chesapeake Bay and Tangier Sound – nearly eight miles from land)
1875 First lighthouse, a screwpile built on Solomons Lump shoal. 1893 Lighthouse damaged by moving ice and later carried away by ice during construction of present caisson.
1895 Present steel caisson on cast-iron cylinder assembled at Lazaretto depot and towed to the south side of Kedges Strait, between the Chesapeake Bay and Tangier Sound. Square tower, made of brick with attached two –story wooden keeper’s dwelling built using pneumatic process. Exhibits a fixed white light from a 5th order Fresnel lens. Only caisson on the Bay to have an attached dwelling.
1919 5th- order Fresnel lens sent to Cherrystone LH in Virginia and Solomons Lump upgraded with Cherrystone’s 4th-Order lens.
1920s Radio and telephone communication installed.
1929 Keeper H. C. Sterling accidentally sets fire to LH while burning off paint covering rotten wood. He quickly extinguishes flames.
1950 Dwelling portion demolished – Light moved to automated status.
1988 Exterior receives superficial maintenance from USCG. Light remains active aid to navigation.
Source: Bay Beacons by Linda Turbyville and Maryland Lighthouses of the Chesapeake Bay by F. Ross Holland