(Located north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, offshore from Sandy Point State Park, near Annapolis, MD – Revised – 09/02/08)
1858 First lighthouse established on land at Sandy Point.
1883 Present three-story, 51 foot tall red brick dwelling with white roof on brown constructed on caisson, 1,000 yards from Sandy Point State Park.
1890 Flashing light replaced by fixed light. Repairs made and walls reinforced.
1929 Station electrified. Fixed light replaced by flashing light.
1963 Light is automated.
1979 Vandals enter lighthouse, destroy Fresnel lens with baseball bat. Repairs and door replaced. Modern acrylic lens installed.
1988-90 Coast Guard does major restoration.
2005 GSA declares lighthouse “excessed property”. Available to qualified groups under National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act (NHLPA)
2006 Lighthouse sold at public auction to private bidder.
Source: Bay Beacons by Linda Turbyville