(Located on the grounds of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, St.Michael’s, MD)
1827 Light station established. Several lightships in service.
1867 First screwpile built on north side of the entrance into Tangier Sound, marking the shoal on the north side of the channel between the mainland and Bloodsworth Island.
1877 Screwpile carried away and destroyed by floating ice. Lantern and lens salvaged by tender crew.
1879 Present structure – hexagonal wooden cottage, 44 feet in diameter, 1 and 1⁄2 stories with six rooms constructed at Lazaretto Depot. Structure built on 10-inch wrought-iron piles. Exhibits a fixed white light with fifth-order Fresnel lens.
1882 Red sector added to lantern.
1954 Lighthouse fully automated. Deterioration begins.
1966 Lighthouse slated for demolition by the US Coast Guard. Rescued by the fledgling Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum and moved 40 miles upriver to museum grounds in St.Michaels, MD. Lighthouse later fully restored.
Source: Bay Beacons by Linda Turbyville.