The Fall weather was exceptional on the 8th of November for the ceremony to honor Keeper L. Dow Evans. It was an intimate group of 13 family and friends who met in Crisfield MD for the ceremony. Keeper Evans commenced his first assignment with the Lighthouse Service in 1879 at Solomons Lump Light. In January 1893, the lighthouse was smashed by heavy moving ice and abandoned by the keepers. It was declared a total loss and Keeper Evans transferred to Holland Island Bar Light while the new lighthouse was under construction. In 1895, the new caisson-style Solomons Lump Light was completed and placed in service with Keeper in charge. He served there until 1900, when he resigned after 21 years of service.
For those who are wondering about his resignation vice retirement, it is interesting to note that prior to June of 1918, there was no retirement system for Lighthouse Service Employees. But more on that subject in a later newsletter.
Any questions, email Keeper Grave Dedication Ceremony firstname.lastname@example.org