Lighthouse Keeper recognition ceremony for Keeper Henry C. Sterling – November 7, 2020

Keeper Sterling’s family and friends after the ceremony in Crisfield, Maryland


The ceremony for Keeper Sterling was held on November 7th.  The 18 friends and family attending in Crisfield MD were treated to a picture perfect day to honor Henry Sterling.  Keeper Sterling’s career started in 1900 at Solomons Lump Light as an Assistant Keeper.  Before the year was out, he transferred to the Criaghill Lower Range Front Light until 1901.  Moving closer to home, he served as an Assistant Keeper at Sharkfin Shoal Light for a year, then Janes Island Light for 18 months.  He transferred back to Sharkfin Shoal in 1903 to be the Head Keeper.  In 1904 he finally settled back at Solomons Lump Light where he started his career.  He served as Head Keeper at this light until his retirement in 1937.  He received the Inspectors Efficiency Star in 1916, and in the 1936 big freeze he was forced to abandon the light and walk across the ice to Smith Island.  Keeper Sterling was known to have used his small sailboat to travel the 8 miles back and forth to home while assigned to Solomons Lump.

Any questions, email Keeper Grave Dedication Ceremony programs@cheslights.org  
Download the Grave Marker Program Marker and Ceremony Application here.

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/lighthouse-keeper-recognition-ceremony-nov-7-2020/