Station was located in the Chesapeake Bay, near the entrance to the Rappahannock River in Virginia. Lightship “U” was assigned in 1834 when the station was established. It stayed on station until 1861 when Confederate forces sunk, destroyed or removed the ship. The station was vacant from 1861-1863. It is not known what vessel was on station from 1863-1869, but RELIEF vessel LV21 (previously serving Upper Cedar Point and Willoughby Spit) served here from March 8 – September 1, 1869, during the construction of the Windmill Point Lighthouse.
No photo available.
Keepers: John G. Cox (1835 – 1853), Michael W. George (1853 – 1855), James Hinton (1855 – 1856), John M. George (1856), Thomas H. Cornick (1859), John M. George (1859), J.M. George (at least 1867), Dixon Shinault (1869)