Station was located in the Potomac River, approximately 44 miles upriver from the Chesapeake Bay. Anchored on the south side of the channel off the mouth of the Tobacco River, about 2.75 miles from the route 301 bridge. In 1821, the first lightship placed on this station was designated “LL”. It is not known how long it stayed on station, but it was replaced at some point by “EE” a 72-ton wood hull ship which stayed on station until 1859. Lightship “SS”, a 70-ton wood hull ship that had previously served at Nine-Foot Shoal in North Carolina, was on station at Upper Cedar Point until 1861 when it was sunk, destroyed or removed by Confederate forces during the Civil War. The station remained vacant until 1864 when LV21 was assigned. The lightship was replaced by the Upper Cedar Point Lighthouse in 1867.
No photo available.
Keepers: James H. Neale (1841 – 1845), Thomas Lloyd (1845 – 1849), James H. Neale (1849 – 1853), Thomas Burgess (1853 – 1859), W. H. Page (1859), Robert Shaw (1863 – 1864), James Treakle (1864 – 1867)