Located on the lower Chesapeake Bay 10.9 miles and 331 degrees from Cape Henry, Virginia, this station marks the junction for the westbound York River entrance and the northbound Chesapeake channel.
This station was served by LV-45 from 1908-1918. The 124-foot-long schooner was built in 1887 by Houston & Woodbridge of Lynwood, Pennsylvania, at a price of $58,500. The iron hull was wrapped with yellow pine. The two masts were equipped with two lanterns, each with 8 oil lamps and reflectors.
LV-45 was the sister vessel of LV-46 which served at Tail of the Horseshoe seven miles away. Before the ship was stationed at Thirty-Five Foot Channel, it was originally located at Winter Quarter station. In 1908 it was deemed unsuitable for exposed stations and was moved to Thirty-Five Foot Channel Station.
From 1918-1919 during WWI, the station was marked by a lighted buoy. In 1918, while being repaired at Portsmouth Depot, LV-45 caught fire when another burning ship listed against it. The damage was estimated at a price of $28,875, so it was determined too costly to repair. The ship was retired from lightship duty at age 31 and sold as scrap on April 27, 1920, to the highest bidder for a price of $2,113.00.
The ship was replaced by a lighted buoy until the station was discontinued in 1919.
Photo is of LV45 while on station at Winter Quarter. Source plate XXIII of the 1901 Light List.
Crew Members: James H. Mason (1898-1913), Harry H. Vaughn (1898-1913), Anelius Anderson (1913), Robert H. Bertram (1913-1914), A.T. Loss (1913-1915), John B. Johnson (1914-1917), Gus Montague (1915-1916), C.E. O’Neal (1916), Robert A. Dixon (1917-1918), Arthur K. Hudson, Master (1917-1918)