A few last minute updates and pointers:
Last update: 9/13/19
Past Maryland Lighthouse Challenge souvenirs available for purchase along the Challenge route. Click here for details.
Choptank River Replica – CAMBRIDGE NOTES:
• The Choptank Heritage Skipjack Races are on Saturday morning (no street closures). Boat parade 9am, races 10am.
• The Groovefest music festival is on Saturday evening 5-10pm in green space at Race & Cedar Street (no street closures).
Alternate Sunday Directions:
(1) FROM THE NORTH (on Route 50 East from Easton): Turn right on Maryland Avenue (first light after the Choptank River bridge)
FROM THE SOUTH (on Route 50 West from Salisbury): Turn left on Maryland Avenue (last light before the Choptank River bridge)
(2) Continue on Maryland Avenue, crossing Cambridge Creek drawbridge and continuing STRAIGHT through a stoplight to a dead end at Gay Street.
(3) Turn left on Gay Street.
(4) At first light, turn right on Poplar Street.
(5) Continue through the next light (High Street), then take the second right hand turn after that light onto residential Choptank Avenue.
(6) Continue on Choptank Avenue for four blocks to Water Street (last intersection before the river). Turn right on Water Street.
(7) Pass Mill Street and Vue de Leau Street and the Choptank River Lighthouse will be on your left, beyond the park out on the river. Park along Water Street or continue to High Street and turn left into the municipal parking area, though that lot may be quite crowded and possibly full due to the event, in which case you will have to backtrack and find street parking.
TO RETURN TO ROUTE 50
The Choptank Avenue that you came across is one way. Instead, from Water Street, turn onto Mill Street. Continue until it dead ends at Glasgow Street (just past Locust).
• Turn left on Glasgow Street
• Turn left at the light onto High Street
• Take an immediate right onto Poplar Street
• At the first light (Gay Street), turn left.
• At the first light (Muse Street), turn right.
• Continue straight. Muse Street turns into Maryland Avenue, which crosses the drawbridge and takes you back out to the Route 50 highway.
Drum Point (Calvert Marine Museum): SUNDAY AFTER 5:00 p.m., there will be no access to the lighthouses due to a wedding but there will be a viewing area fairly close so Challengers can get photos. The Chapter tables will be available outside during the time that the museum is closed.
Fort Washington: is not handicap accessible this year and light is not open due to renovation.
Point Lookout: is only available for viewing from outside due to renovation. See more information from Point Lookout Lighthouse Preservation Society (PLLPS), Inc. Highly recommend that you strictly follow SPEED LIMITS in and around the park.
Chesapeake Bay Bridge: EXPECT DELAYS! The bridge is under construction and there may be lane closures. Also, Ocean City is hosting an event the same weekend as the Challenge. Bay Bridge can be monitored in real time at 1-877-BAYSPAN