(Located at the entrance of Mobjack Bay, 21 miles north of Old Point Comfort, in Mathews County, VA. Visible from observation platform /walkway at VA Nature Conservancy’s New Point Comfort Preserve, Bavon, VA – Updated 5/27/2020
1804: 58-foot octagonal cut-stone tower, 3rd oldest lighthouse on the Bay built by the first keeper, Elzy Burroughs.
1865: 4th-order Fresnel lens installed.
1868: Extensive repairs completed.
1900: Rail fence & plank walkways installed around tower & dwelling.
1918: Keeper Edward H. Sibley is awarded the inspector’s efficiency star.
1919: Light partially automated. Keeper’s house torn down. Keeper resigns.
1930: Light completely automated.
1933: Hurricane creates channel; separates lighthouse from the mainland.
1963: Automated beacon placed 1,050 yards offshore.
1968: CG discontinues all maintenance; abandons station.
1972: Lighthouse added on Register of VA Historic Landmarks.
1976: Lighthouse deeded to Mathews County, VA.
1988: $80,000 in structural repairs by NPC preservation group.
1994: Vandals damage lighthouse.
1999 Repairs made, and tower relit.
2001: New Point Comfort Preservation Task Force (NPCPTF) formed to restore and preserve the lighthouse.
2003: New pier constructed at the lighthouse.
2012: Protective seawall built. Pier removed.
2016: Larger replacement pier constructed.
Source: NPCPTF web site: http://www.newpointcomfortlighthouse.org/index.php