1884: On July 7, 1884, Congress appropriates $10,000 to construct a small lighthouse and fog signal on Killick Shoal, in Chincoteague Bay. A site is selected in August—on the outer end of the shoal on the north side of the channel, approximately 3-1/8 miles from the Assateague light.
1885: The deed for the site is received from the governor of Virginia in January. Borings are made at the site at a depth of 17 feet. The results from the borings showed a sand and clay mix on the bottom of the Bay. Plans for the lighthouse are approved. The screwpile foundation is delivered to the Chincoteague buoy depot in November. Construction of the square cottage begins in December.
1886: On March 10, the light is exhibited for the first time, a fourth-order lens with a fixed white light. The construction of the cottage is completed, and the fog bell was installed by the middle part of April.
1902: A fuel platform is constructed underneath the lighthouse.
1912: Keeper William Parker is found dead at the lighthouse. His death was attributed to apoplexy (cerebral hemorrhage or stroke).
1918: On February 11, Keeper Isaac D. Peterson assists 14 passengers on a mail boat, Nanticoke, which went aground near Chincoteague Bay Light No.3. The passengers were carried to the wharf.
1919: The Ironwork is repaired on the foundation.
1920: Keeper Isaac D. Peterson floated a U.S. Naval Seaplane, NC-8, that was grounded on September 25.
1927: Assistant Keeper, John E. Stubbs is awarded a citation for meritorious service by the United States Lighthouse Service for rescuing a man in the bay on May 5.
1939: The lighthouse at Killick Shoal is deactivated and dismantled. It is replaced by an automatic light on top of a metal tower attached to the remaining metal foundation.
1. Annual Report of the Lighthouse Board, various years.
2. Forgotten Beacons, Patrick Hornberger & Linda Turbyville, 1997.
3. 1907 Inspection Report
4. Lighthouse Friends website, www.lighthousefriends.com
5. The Decatur Herald, June 22, 1927