Lambert Point Lighthouse

Lambert Point Lighthouse was built in 1872 on the shore of the Elizabeth River in Norfolk, Virginia. It was a square screwpile set on five piles, rather than the six that were planned. The house was brown in color and the lantern had a red light of the fifth order.

In 1873, it was reported that the foundation settled unevenly, due to the missing sixth pile and soft river bottom, and the lighthouse sat at a tilt about fourteen inches lower on the west side. The remaining screwpiles were lowered, solving the problem, and an additional 4 piles were added to the foundation to stabilize the structure. During the stabilization process, a dock from the shore and a pier were added to the lighthouse.

Eventually, the lighthouse became useless as an aid to navigation as the construction of piers and warehouses, built by The Norfolk and Western Railroad increased around it. The light was decommissioned on December 31, 1892, the same year that nearby Bush Bluff, located just north of Lamberts Point on the Elizabeth River, was marked with a lightship. In 1901 the fog signal was reestablished on the lantern gallery of the old lighthouse and provided service for the next 10 years. The building collapsed sometime after 1916.

Photo courtesy US Coast Guard.

Head Keepers: Jonathan Martin (1872), Miles Conner (1872 – 1873), Alexander Sawyer (1873 – 1875), Charles C. Lee (1875 – 1876), William D. Clegg (1876 – 1883), Jonathan Martin (1883 – 1892), Jonathan Martin (1901 – at least 1917)

Assistant:  John A. Dowdy (1872), George Pell (1872 – 1874), William J. Pugh (1874 – 1875), Carey Brown (1875 – 1876), William L. Clegg (1876), Mrs. J.V. Clegg (1876 – 1882)

Updated 2/10/2020


TIMELINE

MAP/DIRECTIONS

Geocache

GPS: 

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/lambert-point-lighthouse/