Date of Service: 1873 – 1895
1825: Born on November 17 to parents Philip and Ann Sherwood in Baltimore, MD.
1840: Marries John M. Crouch. They raise 3 children.
1850: In the U.S. Census John Crouch is 33 years old, married to Rebecca, age 25. His occupation is listed as a laborer.
1865: Rebecca’s husband John Crouch is appointed Principal Keeper at Turkey Point Lighthouse, MD. On December 30.
1873-1895: Rebecca’s husband dies on July 3 while serving as Principal Keeper at Turkey Point Lighthouse, MD. Rebecca Crouch is appointed Principal Keeper on October 2 at Turkey Point Lighthouse, replacing her husband. Her beginning salary is $520/year. Her ending salary was $560/year.
1875: On February 10, Rebecca records in the daily log that a tug, Enterprise, “came here yesterday to send telegraph to Baltimore they have been frozen up off here since the 7th”. She later recorded on February 22 that “a tug frozen in the ice left for Baltimore today.”
1888: In April, a machine operated fog bell is established at the station in a newly constructed bell tower.
1889: The keepers house is raised one story, adding an additional 4 rooms. A new front porch is also built.
1895: Rebecca Crouch dies on July 11 at age 69 while serving as Principal Keeper. She is buried at Harts United Methodist Church Cemetery, Elk Neck., MD. Her daughter, Georgiana Brumfield is appointed Keeper on July 28, 1895.
Keeper Rebecca Crouch Anecdotes:
Rebecca Crouch lived at Turkey Point Lighthouse a total of 30 years, succeeding her husband upon his death in 1873. The following is an excerpt from her obituary: “For fifty-four years the force of her religious life and womanly character has been felt in that community. She was endowed with unusual intelligence, quick perceptions, and excellent judgement. She was a great reader, an excellent conversationalist, and a constant student of the Bible.”
Sources: Chesapeake Chapter Keeper database, J. Candace Clifford Lighthouse Research Catalog, www.uslhs.org ; Newspapers.com; FamilySearch.org ; Women Who Kept The Lights, Mary Louise Clifford and J. Candace Clifford, 2013; The Cecil Whig, July 20, 1895