Bethel Bridge Lighthouse (Replica)*

Bethel Bridge Lighthouse Replica – Photo Courtesy Greg Krawczyk

Bethel Bridge Lighthouse was one of at least six small wooden lighthouses located at various locations along the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal to warn ships of the various locks and bridges along the canal. The canal was fourteen miles wide with a channel that was 10-feet deep and 36-feet wide. In 1927 the lighthouse was considered unnecessary when the canal was renovated by the Army Corps of Engineers.

The original light was approximately 30-feet tall and fitted with a red oil lamp. The current full-sized replica was built in 1996 on the property of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Museum at Chesapeake City, MD. and donated by the Chesapeake City Lions Club.

For more information visit: https://chesapeakecity.com/cd-canal-museum/


TIMELINE

MAP/DIRECTIONS

Geocache

GPS: 38.575807, -76.073808

 

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/bethel-bridge-lighthouse-replica/