(Located 3.5 miles east of Old Point Comfort, mouth of James River, Hampton Roads, VA)
1821 Lightship stationed near Thimble Shoal.
1872 First lighthouse, a screwpile, erected.
10/30/1880 Screwpile cottage destroyed by fire. Foundation survives.
12/24/1880 Screwpile cottage, destined for Bells Rock, VA installed instead on existing ironwork. 2nd fog bell installed.
1891 Lighthouse rammed by hit-and-run steamer and damaged.
1898 Lighthouse rammed by coal barge, causing considerable damage and extensive repair.
12/27/1909 Lighthouse severely struck by schooner Malcolm Baxter, Jr. nearly splitting cottage in two; resultant fire destroys cottage. Three keepers on duty escape in small boat.
1914 Present caisson, three story cast-iron tower standing 55 feet above the bay, constructed and equipped with 4th order Fresnel lens.
1915 Schooner Addie M. Lawrence strikes lighthouse.
1964 Power cable from mainland and battery backup installed.
1987 Solar cells replace electric cable.
2003-04 Lighthouse becomes available for transfer or sale under the provisions of the NHLPA.
2005 Lighthouse sold to Peter Jurewicz of Smithfield for $65,000.
Source: Bay Beacons by Linda Turbyville, Lighting the Bay: Tales of Chesapeake Lighthouses by Pat Vojtech and Lighthouses of Maryland and Virginia – History, Mystery, Legends & Lore by Bob Trapani, Jr.