(Located at entrance of Mobjack Bay, 21 miles north of Old Point Comfort, Mathews County, VA. Visible from Observation deck. )
1804 58-foot octagonal cut-stone tower, 3rd oldest lighthouse on the Bay built by first keeper, Elzy Burroughs.
1865 4th-order Fresnel lens installed.
1868 Extensive repairs completed.
1900 Rail fence & plank walkways installed around tower & dwelling.
1919 Light partially automated. Keeper’s house torn down. Keeper resigns.
1930 Light completely automated.
1933 Hurricane creates channel; separates NPC from the mainland.
1963 Automated beacon placed 1,050 yards offshore.
1968 CG discontinues all maintenance; abandons station.
1972 Lighthouse added on Register of VA Historic Landmarks.
1975 Lighthouse deeded to Mathews County, VA.
1981 $80,000 in structural repairs by NPC preservation group.
1994 Vandals damage lighthouse.
2004 New pier constructed at lighthouse.
Source: Bay Beacons by Linda Turbyville and Lighting the Bay – Tales of Chesapeake Lighthouses by Pat Vojtech