Pages Rock

Pages Rock Lighthouse was built in 1893 in the York River off of Blundering Point, Virginia. This was about 5 miles north of the town of Yorktown. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse with a fourth order Fresnel lens and the tower was constructed on the roof.
The lighthouse was assembled at the Lazaretto Depot in Maryland.

The lighthouse was automated in 1960 and deactivated and removed in 1967. It was replaced with an automated steel skeletal tower built on the original foundation.

Photo courtesy U.S. Coast Guard.

Head Keepers:  Charles B. Bohannon (1893 – 1902), Claudious Sutton (1902 – 1931), John F. Riley (1931 – 1936), Frank R. Lewis (at least 1939 – at least 1940)

First Assistant:  Richard W. Marchant (1893 – 1897), Claudious Sutton (1898 – 1901), Solomon P. Forbes (1901), Wilkes Bohaman (1901), Paul A. Boerschel (1901), Edward Oliver (1902), Temple Ripley (1902 – 1905), George Prichard (1905), James E. Oliver (1905 – 1907), Eugene S. Riley (1907 – 1913), Joseph T. Oliver (1913 – 1914), Harry O. Monsell (at least 1915), Eugene S. Riley (1915 – 1916), Frank L. Dixon (1916 – 1917), James A. Dudley (1917 – at least 1925), James A. Lupton (1922 – at least 1926), John F. Riley (1929 – 1931), Nelson H. Lewis (1931 – ), William A. Gibbs (1933 – 1936), Aubrey B. Hudgins, Jr. (at least 1939 – 1942), Joseph T. Oliver (1942 – 1943)

Second Assistant:  J.A. Dudley (at least 1926), John F. Riley (1927 – 1929), Nelson H. Lewis (1930 – 1931), Bertman Parks (at least 1935 – at least 1937)

Updated 6/2/2019


TIMELINE

MAP/DIRECTIONS

Geocache

GPS: 

Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/pages-rock/