The cottage style dwelling was completed in 1896 and originally sat on a peninsula. The patch displays the lighthouse, oil shed and bell tower. Erosion resulted in the lighthouse sitting on an island which itself gradually eroded away. The station was abandoned and then later deactivated in 1928. In 1979 the lighthouse was declared eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Continued erosion and deterioration resulted in removal from the list in 1983. In 1996 the light had become a hazard to navigation and it was dismantled. Parts of the gabled roof and bricks were sent to the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomon’s Island. Proceeds from the sale of this patch will be used to help preserve lighthouses for future generations. The cost of the patch is $8.00 and can be ordered thru the Keeper’s Loft.
INTRODUCING the 1st Patch in the Lost Light Series
Permanent link to this article: https://cheslights.org/introducing-the-1st-patch-in-the-lost-light-series/