The station was established in 1855 and located in the Chesapeake Bay near the entrance to the York River in Virginia. The first lightship to mark this spot is not identified. In 1861 lightship “T” was on station and was sunk, destroyed or removed by Confederate forces during the U.S. Civil War. From 1861 to 1863, and again from 1864-1867 the station was vacant. In 1863 LV22 was assigned to the location in order to “facilitate Army transport movement”. LV22 remained on station until June of 1864 when it was re-assigned to Wolf Trap Shoal. From 1867 until the lightship station was discontinued in 1870, LV24 served at York Spit. It had previously served at Lower Cedar Point.
No photo available.