«

»

Print this Post

Watts Island

Watts Island Lighthouse was built in 1833 on Little Watts Island, a seven-acre island, just south of Watts Island between the Eastern Shore peninsula and Tangier Island. In 1867, John Donohoo of Havre De Grace, Maryland built the original 48′ foot tower in 1833. It had a fifth order Fresnel lens. The keeper’s quarters, at 20 by 34 feet and built at a cost of $4,775, were added in 1891.
The lighthouse was automated in 1923. A storm in the winter of 1944 toppled the tower and the island has completely eroded away. Today, only a shoal exists where the lighthouse and island once stood.


TIMELINE

MAP/DIRECTIONS

Geocache

GPS: 

 

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/watts-island/