The Mispillion Lighthouse depicted in this second patch of the Lost Lights series was built in 1873. The light has a square wooden tower rising from one corner of a 2-story wood keeper’s house. The light was active until 1929 when it was replaced with a steel skeleton tower that had originally been at Cape Henlopen. The light was in private ownership and suffered from neglect. It was on the endangered light list when what remained was struck by lightning which destroyed most of the tower. The remains were sold in 2002. The steel skeletal tower remains at the original location but is not active and is not open to the public. Proceeds from the sale of this patch will be used to help preserve lighthouses for future generations. The cost of the patch is $8.00 and can be ordered thru the Keeper’s Loft.
INTRODUCING the 2nd Patch in the Lost Light Series
Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/introducing-the-2nd-patch-in-the-lost-light-series/