Hooper Island Lighthouse is one of only five lights constructed in the Bay during the 1900’s. The Hooper Island Lighthouse is located in approximately 18′ of water, approximately three miles west of Hooperville, Upper Hooper Island. It is a caisson style light, sunk 13.5 feet into the muddy bottom of the Bay. It was first lit in 1902. The height of the light above the water is 63 feet. The deck is about 18 feet above the water level.
There are four living levels, a watch room level and the lantern level. The interior of the tower is lined with white glazed brick.
The original 1902 lens was a fourth-order Fresnel manufactured by F. Babier & Company, Paris, in 1888. In 1904, the light was changed to a fixed white with an eclipse every 15 seconds. This light was automated in 1961 and the keepers removed. In 1976 the fourth-order fresnel was stolen and the Coast Guard replaced it with a solar optic.
The fog bell, manufactured by McShane of Baltimore in 1901, was changed to a Cunningham air diaphragm foghorn in the late 1930s. The fog bell was retained as a backup.
Of the eleven pneumatic caisson lighthouses built in the United States, seven were built in the Chesapeake Bay; three were built in the Virginia portion of Chesapeake Bay (Wolf Trap Lighthouse, 1894, Smith Point Lighthouse, 1897, and Thimble Shoal Lighthouse, 1914); and four in the Maryland portion of Chesapeake Bay (Solomons Lump Lighthouse, 1895, Hooper Island Lighthouse, 1902, Point No Point Lighthouse, 1905, and Baltimore Lighthouse, 1908). Hooper Island Lighthouse is the only cast-iron caisson lighthouse in Maryland with a watch room and lantern surmounted on the tower.
GPS: [38.25632 -76.24987]