Category Archive: Heritage-Virginia

Lyceum Museum – (4th & 5th Order Fresnel lenses)

The Lyceum is Alexandria’s History Museum. Originally built in 1839 as a community center and library, this elegant Greek revival structure still serves as an educational and cultural focal point. An ongoing exhibition tells the story of Alexandria, founded in 1749 and once one of the busiest ports in America. Using archaeological finds, old photographs, …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/heritage-lyceum-museum-4th-5th-order-fresnel-lenses/

York Spit

York Spit Lighthouse was built in 1870 in the Chesapeake Bay about 5 miles east of Rue Point at the southern entrance to the York River, Virginia. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse with two additional fender piles, one on each of the ebb and flow sides of the structure for additional stability against ice …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/york-spit/

Windmill Point

Windmill Point Lighthouse was built in 1869 at the entrance to the Rappahannock River on the north side. Three separate lightships were originally stationed here from 1834 until the lighthouse was constructed. Confederates took the first lightship in 1861. The lighthouse was a white hexagonal screwpile style that was assembled at Lazaretto Depot in Maryland. …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/windmill-point/

White Shoal

White Shoal Lighthouse was built in 1855 and was one of three screwpiles lighted on February 6 in the James River. The lighthouse was located below Sandy Point on the lower end of the shoal and on the right side of the main channel heading upriver near Newport News, Virginia. It was built to replace …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/white-shoal/

Watts Island

Watts Island Lighthouse was built in 1833 on Little Watts Island, a seven-acre island, just south of Watts Island between the Eastern Shore peninsula and Tangier Island. In 1867, John Donohoo of Havre De Grace, Maryland built the original 48′ foot tower in 1833. It had a fifth order Fresnel lens. The keeper’s quarters, at 20 …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/watts-island/

Tue Marshes

Originally called “Too’s Marshes” the Tue Marshes Lighthouse was built in 1875 at the entrance to the York River on the Goodwin Islands. It was a square screwpile lighthouse and was built at a cost of $15,000. It had two additional fender piles, one on each of the ebb and flow sides of the structure …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/tue-marshes/

Stingray Point

Stingray Point Lighthouse was built in 1858 at the entrance to the Rappahannock River near Deltaville, Virginia. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse. The lighthouse was automated just prior to being dismantled in 1965. Sections of the lighthouse were sold to Gilbert Purcell, a boatyard owner who hoped to rebuild the lighthouse on land, but …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/stingray-point/

Pungoteague River

Pungoteague River Lighthouse was built in 1854 just offshore near the entrance to the Pungoteague Creek in Accomack County, Virginia. It was the first screwpile built in the Chesapeake Bay and was built by Major Bache. It was constructed on seven pneumatic piles and was equipped with a fifth order lens. The lighthouse was overturned …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/pungoteague-river/

Point of Shoals

Point of Shoals Lighthouse had two lighthouses. The first was built in 1855 and was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse with a pressed-glass masthead lens. It was located in Burwell Bay in the James River in Virginia a little below Mulberry Island Point on the right side of the main channel, heading upriver. Confederates made a …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/point-of-shoals/

Pages Rock

Pages Rock Lighthouse was built in 1893 in the York River off of Blundering Point, Virginia. This was about 5 miles north of the town of Yorktown. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse with a fourth order Fresnel lens and the tower was constructed on the roof. The lighthouse was assembled at the Lazaretto Depot …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/pages-rock/

Old Plantation Flats

Old Plantation Flats Lighthouse was built in 1886 as a white rectangular screwpile with a tower on the roof. The lighthouse was located at the entrance to the channel leading to Cape Charles, Virginia and Old Plantation Creek. The lighthouse had an unusual foundation construction with a combination of screwpile and concrete pylons. The lighthouse …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/old-plantation-flats/

Nansemond River

Nansemond River Lighthouse was built in 1878 near Pig Point on the eastern side of the entrance to the Nansemond River in Suffolk, Virginia. It was a white hexagonal woodpile lighthouse. It had a sixth order Fresnel lens. The lens was replaced in 1899 with a fifth order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse was assembled at …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/nansemond-river/

Lamberts Point

Lamberts Point Lighthouse was built in 1872 on the shore of the Elizabeth River in Norfolk, Virginia. It was a square screwpile set on five piles. The house was brown in color and the lantern had a red light of the fifth order. The foundation settled unevenly, perhaps due to the missing sixth pile, and …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/lamberts-point/

Killock Shoal

Killock Shoal Lighthouse was built in 1886 as a rectangular screwpile lighthouse. It was not a standard Chesapeake Bay style screwpile as it was a 1-1/2 story frame house with a square frame light lower at one end. The lighthouse was located at the north end of the Chincoteague Channel and adjacent to Chincoteague Island. …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/killock-shoal/

Jordan Point

Jordan Point Lighthouse was built in 1855 on the James River near Hopewell, Virginia. The first lighthouse was a white keeper’s quarters with a light on the red roof of the structure containing a pressed-glass masthead lens. The house was removed in 1875 due to shore erosion. A square pyramidal wooden bell tower was built …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/jordan-point/

Hog Island

The first Hog Island Lighthouse was built in 1852 and was a white conical brick tower. This lighthouse lasted until 1896 when it was replaced with a cast iron pyramidal skeletal tower with a central cylinder. This lighthouse was similar to the Cape Charles lighthouse today. Both lighthouses were built on what was the southern …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/hog-island/

Great Wicomico River

Great Wicomico River Lighthouse was built in 1889 at the entrance to Great Wicomico River in the Chesapeake Bay near Fleeton, Virginia. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse with a fourth order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse was assembled at Lazaretto Depot in Maryland. The lighthouse was dismantled in 1967 and replaced with a small automatic …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/great-wicomico-river/

Dutch Gap Canal

Dutch Gap Canal Lights were constructed at either end of the canal in 1875 near Hopewell, Virginia on the upper James River. The lights were two 27-foot post lights. The lights were originally to be a sixth order, but it was decided to use small lanterns, burning mineral oil. The canal was constructed by Union …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/dutch-gap-canal/

Deep Water Shoal

Deep Water Shoal Lighthouse was built in 1855 on the James River northeast of Fort Eustis on the shoal on the right side of the channel, above Mulberry Island Point and below Lyon’s Creek. It was a small screwpile lighthouse that was white with a red roof and had a masthead lens. The light suffered …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/deep-water-shoal/

Craney Island

Craney Island Lighthouse was built at the former entrance to the Elizabeth River at Hampton Roads, Virginia in 1859. It was a square screwpile light. Confederates damaged this lighthouse in 1861. This lighthouse was replaced in 1884 by a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse after much decay and damage. The 1884 lighthouse was assembled at the Lazaretto …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/craney-island/

Cherrystone Bar

Cherrystone Bar Lighthouse was built in 1858. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse built south of Cape Charles, Virginia to mark the channel into the Eastern Shore port. The light had a fourth order Fresnel lens. The light was attacked by rebels during the Civil Was and was reestablished in 1862 by Union forces. The …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/cherrystone-bar/

Bowlers Rock

Bowlers Rock Light was built in 1868 on the Rappahannock River between Bowlers Landing and Suggetts Point in Virginia. The lighthouse was a rectangular screwpile lighthouse. The lighthouse had two additional fender piles, set one on each of the ebb and flow sides of the structure, for additional stability against ice. Two lightships were stationed …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/bowlers-rock/

Bells Rock

Bells Rock Lighthouse was built in 1881 on the York River two miles downriver from West Point, Virginia. It was a hexagonal screwpile lighthouse. The first lighthouse was assembled in 1880 at the Lazaretto Depot in Maryland but was diverted to Thimble Shoal after that lighthouse burned down. The second lighthouse was built in 1881 and …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/bells-rock-2/

Back River

Back River Light was built in 1829 by Winslow Lewis at a cost of $5,000. It was constructed on a four-acre lot six miles north of Old Point Comfort between the Back River entrance and the Grandview area of the City of Hampton, Virginia. It was a conical brick tower that was whitewashed. The original …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/back-river/

Wolf Trap

The Wolf Trap light is located in 16 feet of water on the eastern end of the Wolf Trap Spit south of where the Rappahannock River enters the Chesapeake Bay. It is a caisson tower with its light 52 feet above mean high water. Congress first appropriated funds for a light at Windmill Point or …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/wolf-trap/

Thimble Shoal

The first Thimble Shoal Lighthouse was a six-sided screwpile light erected in 1872. This light was first lit on October 15, 1872. This light replaced the last lightship in the bay. The light was listed as 3 ½ miles east of Old Point Comfort at Willoughby’s Spit and The Thimble entrance to Hampton Roads. On …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/thimble-shoal/

Smith Point

Smith Point is located on the Southern side where the Potomac River enters the Bay. The first light at this point was erected in 1802. Erosion of the shore line caused the light to be moved in 1807. In 1821 a lightship was stationed off the point. In 1828 erosion again forced the Light-House Board …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/smith-point/

Old Point Comfort

This light is the second oldest lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay. It was first lit in 1802 on the grounds of Fort George, the fort that was there prior to the current Fort Monroe. The 54 foot tall light was built by Elzy Burroughs who also built the New Point Comfort light located up the …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/old-point-comfort/

New Point Comfort

The New Point Comfort light, the third oldest light on the Bay, was built in 1804. It is located at the entrance to Mobjack Bay and the mouth of the York River in Mathews County, Virginia. In 1865 the 63-foot tower was fitted with a new fourth-order Fresnel lens that allowed the light to be …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/new-point-comfort/

Newport News Middle Ground

In 1871, the United States government established a light station to mark the underwater L-shaped shoal in the middle of the Hampton Roads shipping lanes. This caisson lighthouse was completed and first lighted in 1891 at a cost of $50,000. The lighthouse was fitted with a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The over all structure is 56 …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/newport-news-middle-ground/

Older posts «