Category Archive: Heritage-Delaware

Delaware Breakwater East End

Delaware Breakwater Light was built in 1885, and positioned such that it could be seen from both the harbor and the ocean. It is a brown brick conical tower on a concrete and stone caisson. The light originally had a fourth order Fresnel lens but was replaced with an airport style beacon in 1973. The …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/delaware-breakwater-east-end/

Harbor of Refuge

Harbor of Refuge Breakwater Light is the third lighthouse to be built on this site. In 1825 Congress authorized construction of a breakwater at Lewes to meet the demands for a place where ships could seek shelter behind Cape Henlopen, Delaware. The Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse sits at the end of a breakwater on the …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/harbor-of-refuge/

Fenwick Island

The lighthouse was authorized to be built in 1856 at a cost of $23,748.96. Work was begun on the 87 foot tall tower in 1857 and first lit on August 1, 1858. The light was needed to protect shipping from the treacherous Fenwick sand shoals that extend several miles out from the Delaware coast. The …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://cheslights.org/fenwick-island/